Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Connor, the Conure Parrot

Since I don't really have anything worthwhile to contribute to the world today, I thought that I would just let my thoughts go where they will, and see what happens.
First of all, I would like to talk about my pet parrot, Connor. ( Connor, the Conure parrot.) I got Connor about a month ago; I have always wanted a parrot. I wanted one that I could teach to talk, but two things influenced my decision to buy Connor. Main thing was the price. Conures are the small parrots, they don't usually talk, if they do, it is limited (according to the articles that I have read). I like to research everything before buying, and according to research, Conure parrots have a more out-going personality than their larger feathered friends. Large parrots are more prone to bite, although they are capable of an extensive vocabulary. So, the second main reason for getting a Conure was the fact of having a more social pet. I'm telling you what, I never knew a bird could have a personality like Connor does. He's just like a little person, I've read that they are like two-year-olds. He absolutely loves to be paid attention to; if you don't do it voluntarily, he will sit on the door of his cage, (we keep it open most of the time during the day), and he will either screech, whistle, or trill to get our attention. He's usually very vocal during the day, but when I cover his cage at night, somehow he figures that the screeching and yelling will not work, so it's the funniest thing to hear him try to sweet-talk us into uncovering his cage. He makes soft little chirrup noises, and any other little birdie noises to try to get our attention. In the morning, when I go to uncover him, he will hop onto the inside of the door and "ride" it as it comes down, he just can't wait to be held and talked to. If you don't pick him up right away, he will strreeeettcchhh toward you as hard as he can and try his best to "talk" you into picking him up. It amazes me how human he acts.
The previous owner told me when I clipped his toenails, that I'd be better off taking him to the vet and letting them do it, because he holds a grudge; but if I did it, I'd better hold him in a towel. So, tonight I decided that I really needed to cut the toenails, despite the hard feelings that may result, because he keeps getting hung up in Sarah's hair every time she lets him sit on top of her head. I actually had to break several hairs to get him disentangled from her hair last night. I decided that I'd better not put it off any longer. So, I get my little towel, and wrap him up, and try to do the job. Let me tell you folks, it's harder than you think that it might be to clip a parrot's toenails; especially when the parrot doesn't want you to. I never in my life heard such screeching as I did tonight. You'd have thought I was killing the poor little thing, it's a wonder the neighbors didn't call the police for parrot abuse, the way he was carrying on. I just thought he was loud before, it didn't even compare to the decimal level that I heard. That was one mad bird. But it was kind of funny to see him throw a fit like that, he just seemed so human! Parrots don't have but four toes on each foot; good thing it didn't take that long, poor thing would have probably had a heart attack or something, the way he was all worked up. Goofy bird! But, you know what? He didn't seem to hold a grudge; that was unexpected, but a welcome relief. I guess he was so glad that I turned him loose, that he wasn't worried about pay-back. Either that, or he knew that he needed his nails clipped, and he knew that this was the only way to get it done. Who knows how a bird thinks? Good grief, when I start thinking like a bird, then everyone can legitimately call me a bird brain!
I love to watch him eat sunflower seeds. He uses those toes like fingers. He'll hold the seed in his mouth, and crack it, and then will stand on one foot, and hold the seed in his other foot, and PEEL the little skin off the seed, (until this time , I never knew that sunflower kernels HAD little skins on them.) Then he will delicately nibble a little at a time until the kernel is gone. He looks so human when he does it, it's hilarious!
He LOVES to get into your hair, and stomp around. Then he'll start to groom. It's the funniest thing to watch; he'll take little individual strands and stretch them out in his mouth all the way to the length of the hair, (can you imagine him doing it to Sarah's hair? ) But his favorite head of all time to stomp around in, is knot-head Steven's. He gets so excited when he gets in Steven's hair; he stomps all around, and gets in a frenzy to get him all groomed before someone removes him. And poor little Steven looks kind of nervous with the bird tromping all around on his head; after all, Connor is not completely potty-trained yet. (Yes, Conure parrots can be potty-trained , interesting, huh?) But, all's well that ends well; so far Steven has not been "doodied" on, although I can't say the same for the rest of us!

No comments: